Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes[_3_] Rick Hughes[_3_] is offline

Default Odd Microwave issue

Every morning I make myself a Latte coffee, taking milk from the fridge, put
it in mug and heat in Microwave for 1 minute ... just to take fridge chill
off the milk before frothing.
Use the same mug every morning .. bought the thing on holiday years ago.

The milk comes up to about room temp ... mug is barley warm to touch,
(conduction from milk) handle does not warm at all.

3 weeks ago reached in and picked cup off ... and the handle was so hot it
gave me full thickness burns to 2 fingers .. actually burnt right into the
fingers put in the handle to pick it up.

These were serious burns .... along with a few choice words.

Even several minutes later the handle was too hot to touch, you could feel
heat from it more than inch away ... yet milk and rest of mug were normal
luke warm temp.

I have since used same mug at least 20 times .. and it is back to normal.

# Why would handle only get so hot (way over 100 degrees C)

# Why only the once

# a mate commented that the reason was the handle had touched the sides of
microwave (unknown) ... but how would that make a difference.