Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 2 Part Electrical question...

This is a long post but I'm young and dumb and you guys are smarter and
I'm bouncing ideas off.

I'm converting the reading room in our home into an office. Against one
wall I'd like to build and install a built-in that has two desks with a
bookcase in the middle. Both desks will house computer workstations ie
printers and monitors etc. Since they are work areas I'd like two lights
above the desks and for effect, lights along on top of the built in.

First off for the computers, can I use a split receptacle (15 amp) without
issues to power both desks? I'd like the outlet in the bottom of the
bookcase (exact middle of the room) because it'll house the router and
modem and back-up drives etc. Run one power bar that powers one computer
and all of it's peripherals and use the other receptacle to power the
other computer and it's peripherals. The router amd modem and such will
have to share with one of the top or bottom of the split.

Is this a split receptacle idea dumb idea or overkill? Or should each work
station get it's own outlet and keep one outlet in the middle of the
bookcase and have all three outlets on a single circuit or on two
circuits? Should I look at 20 amps if a single circuit?

Second off all I'd run a new line for all the lights plus a new line for
the computers. So that's two wires I gotta snake. Problem is the wall
with the built-ins is 60 feet (straight) from my panel box. Figures eh.
The room sits on a concrete pad so I can't run the electrical wire
underneath the floor. The only accessible path I can run the wire where I
have 60 feet of access to snake it the length of my house has both an
air-return and an 8 x 16 x duct work in the way.

The duct is actually directly below the air return pathway running
parallel to it. The air return pathway is just sheet metal nailed to floor
joists so I'm thinking I can drill thru the joists and snake my wire thru
the air return. I saw this idea at my cousins 80 year house they just
bought 2 months ago. My uncle and I laughed when we saw the electrical
wire snaked thru the air return and it was resting on metal. I might
not be laughing anymore. Mine won't touch metal but it'll go thru a
return air pathway. Again dumb idea or not?

*For a home office I would install double duplex receptacles (Two gang box)
above and below each desk. One 20 amp circuit should suffice. Install
another double duplex where the router will be located.

Install a couple of recessed lights above the desks with a switch for each
desk. Install a third switch that controls a wire that comes out above the
built-ins. You can hardwire some lights or attach a receptacle and plug
some in.

You cannot run Romex cable through a plenum. You would have to use conduit.
I have had some luck fishing cables through the box around ducts using
fiberglass rods. Takes a little patience and it is good to have a helper.