Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Heat treat oven gloat

In article ,
Gunner Asch wrote:

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 21:20:31 -0500, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

We just bought a used HT oven for $60. It has about a 1.5 cubic foot
interior and goes up to 2kF. It has an analog temp meter and a rheostat
that controls the on/off ratio instead of a temp dial setting. I forget the
name but one of the guys says it's a better but older make and model.

I doubt it'll save us money on heat treating but it'll be fun and the guys
have a new toy...very important for morale. My question is: How hot and
how long to do a steak in there? Crusty on the outside and red in the
middle! Mmmmmm!

Need a proper controller?

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/HeatTreat#

I did such a retrofit on a similar oven. The issue was to ensure that
the plastic controller and solid-state relay didn't overheat when the
oven was at full temperature. The smell of boiled plastic will totally
destroy the flavor of the steak.

Anyway, the thread on my retrofit is titled "Old Vigor Burnout Furnace
adapted to heat treating" and was posted in August 2008 to RCM.

Joe Gwinn