Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Champ[_2_] Andy Champ[_2_] is offline

Default Vivitar Flash Gun

On 03/01/2011 14:00, John wrote:
I have just dug out my old Vivitar 2500 Flash to try with my Canon Powershot
SX10IS.

It was working and I was getting used to it and then it failed. Tried fresh
batteries and it is erratic. I hear it whining as it charges but the ready
light isn't coming on. If I press the manual button I can see a faint
flicker in the flash tube and the green light flickers.

Has anyone got any ideas about how these fail?

I _am_ guessing, but I'd go for an HT leak somewhere. Take all the
covers off and run it in the dark and look for sparks. Could be leaky
capacitors.

Andy