Posted to alt.home.repair
LSMFT LSMFT is offline

Default Dishwasher Problem

jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jan 3, 7:03 am, wrote:
Last January, we bought a new Kitchen Aid dishwasher, which cost about
$550. There were bargain brands for $300 but we decided to get a
better one this time. I installed it myself, as I have all the
dishwashers we've bought over the last 15 years.

It worked perfectly all year. We went on a ski vacation during the
week before Christmas and were gone for five days, during which time
the dishwasher was not used. When we got back, it started leaving
specks of dirt or food or whatever on some of the dishes. This
condition seems to be getting worse. I can't see why a week of
inactivity would cause this but this is the only time we were away for
an extended period of time and the problem started when we returned.

The user's manual suggests scraping the dishes before putting them
into the dishwasher and loading properly when this happens. We do both
and are doing nothing different than we were doing all year.

Before calling a repairman, I suggested that my wife run a cycle with
no dishes in in to clear out the lines, then to run a small load to
see what happens. She's doing that today. Any other suggestions as to
what might be causing this?

Paul

Sounds like it is not draining properly. Like many washing appliances
it has no way to detect when the water has drained, it just runs the
pump long enough to be completely sure that all the water got pumped
out. If there is any impedement to the drain line it won't drain
completely. It does have a float that prevents it from overfilling.
So when it adds water it will not add too much even if the old water
is still in it. So your dishes get washed and rinsed with "used"
water. Yuk.

Why don't they put a glass window in the front door of dish washers?

--
LSMFT