Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Help with a dust collector

Spark wrote:

You're right about contacting the company. I thought they might be
selling new versions of the machine, but they are simply selling a
used machine.

The one useful piece of data that could/would be interesting if they had
it would be the rated CFM and inches of H20 for the unit; that would
give you some info on what you'll have to use for ducting. Any of the
real lightweight stuff might well get collapsed by that dude if its
performance comes anyways close to matching its mechanical heft.

BTW, what's the size of those inlet ports? Looks like at least 6" if
not 8"? For the size of stuff you've mentioned, I'd likely look at
going to no more than a 5" trunk line and maybe even 4" as you're not
going to have enough chips out of a 12" portable planer to make the cost
of the large ductwork worth it (unless, of course, you're not
particularly constrained in that regard). That's big enough capacity
and large enough diameter that PVC would be a real static generator (it
ain't agonna' explode, not raising that genie here ), but it'll
surely be a shocker...and, if you've not yet priced it, you'll discover
that large diameter ductwork is a pretty penny.