Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Help with a dust collector

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 09:23:33 -0800 (PST), Spark
wrote:

On Jan 2, 9:29*pm, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 10:25:16 -0800 (PST), Spark
wrote:

It is indeed noisy. It's in my home garage shop so putting it outside

That's too bad. *My 2hp G1029 is quiet as a mouse. Only the bandsaw is
quieter in operation. *Oh, wow, they sell a noise reducer for the
bloody thing.http://tinyurl.com/2a77cqf

is not an option. I live in So Cal and the house next door is about
10ft away. An enclosure is a good idea. I don't believe that the guy I
bought it from had a cyclone container attached to it. I think he told
me the big stuff fell out of the the bottom port on the right side of
the unit.The rest went through the fan, but he said the fan was heavy
duty enough to not be damaged by the stuff that went through it. I'm
not sure how that's going to work. There's so much air coming out of
that bottom port on the right side that it's going to kick up a ton of

What port? *The cyclone gets all the larger chunks, and then all air
should be coming out the filter element only, I should think.

dust. *I really appreciate all the help from you guys. I'm obviously
going to have to do some homework. First step is to contact the
company that Sonny found that sells this device. I'm hoping I can
obtain some documentation from them. The bulk of the material moving
through this thing will be dust from my cabinet saw, planer and chop
saw.

DCs shouldn't be noisy at all. *I can't believe those impeller blades
are so rudely riveted onto the hub. That impeller must be causing a
lot of the noise itself. 'Taint aerodynamic at all. *Time for a Bondo
& Balance session.

The port I was refering to can be seen in this picture
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/...b/P1000108.jpg . When I
turn the collector on, the top port is obviously suction and the
bottom port is obviously exhaust. I thought that the guy who sold it
to me said that large pieces would also exit via that port but the
more I think about it, I've got to be wrong. I'm thinking I will route
ducting from the exhaust port to the outside of my shop.

Mark, that's not the same DC. This is a pic of a Rayco, not a Griz.

In this picture, the center Y ports are intakes, the left downpointing
port is the exhaust.

Porting the exhaust outside your shop (instead of catching it) will
fill the area with dust. In the city, that's usually illegal. In the
country, very messy. And if your house is downwind of it, it's
extremely unhealthy. If you pipe it outside and catch it there, it
will reduce the noise and create a real heating/cooling problem for
the shop.

--
You do not need a parachute to skydive.
You only need a parachute to skydive twice.