Peter De Smidt

Default Electrical Wiring Question

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 15:29:58 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Peter De Smidt wrote:
I'm trying to turn my 1-car, 70 year old garage into a workshop. At
the moment, it has two 15 amp lines run through 1/2 metal conduit.
The wire is 14 ga, and there are two hots, one neutral and a ground.

Hopefully, these are fed from one duplex circuit breaker. If not, it's a Code
violation and a fire hazard.

Yes, these are on one duplex circuit breaker.

If you succeed in pulling four #10 wires through this conduit, you're still
limited to a 30A version of what you have now: two 30A 120V circuits with a
shared neutral. What will you do with a 30A 120V circuit? Not too many 120V
tools require 30A.

It would help a lot if you provided more information about what your objective
is. What tools do you want to run in your garage/shop, and how much current do
they require?

My plan was to install a subpanel, and then run the necessary 120 and
220 circuits off of this. At the moment, my only big piece of
equipment is a 2hp table saw. I'd like to rewire it for 220. At the
moment, I'm going to use my shop vac with a HEPA filter for dust
control, although down the road I'll probably want a 220 DC system.
For lights, I plan on using a 400 watt HMI light, and maybe a few
small task lights. Eventually, I hope to add a planer, jointer... but
these will only be run one at a time. For heat, I'm hoping to install
a used high efficiency furnace, but at the moment all I have is a 1450
watt space heater.

Peter