Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Vivitar Flash Gun

"John" wrote in message
I have just dug out my old Vivitar 2500 Flash to try with my Canon
Powershot SX10IS.

It was working and I was getting used to it and then it failed. Tried
fresh batteries and it is erratic. I hear it whining as it charges but
the ready light isn't coming on. If I press the manual button I can see a
faint flicker in the flash tube and the green light flickers.

Has anyone got any ideas about how these fail?

Marked as 380 micro farads 350v "for Photo Flash"

40mm long by 25mm diam.

I guess it dates from about 1980

Crikey - I just touched an insulated screwdriver across the terminals - hell
of a flash and bang. Glad it was insulated.

Nothing has changed (except my screwdriver has burn marks.) Glad I knew
enough to be careful whilst being reckless!