Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Heat treat oven gloat

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 04:27:17 -0500, "LibtardStupid"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 21:20:31 -0500, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

We just bought a used HT oven for $60. It has about a 1.5 cubic foot
interior and goes up to 2kF. It has an analog temp meter and a rheostat
that controls the on/off ratio instead of a temp dial setting. I forget
the
name but one of the guys says it's a better but older make and model.

I doubt it'll save us money on heat treating but it'll be fun and the guys
have a new toy...very important for morale. My question is: How hot and
how long to do a steak in there? Crusty on the outside and red in the
middle! Mmmmmm!

Need a proper controller?

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/HeatTreat#

Id be happy to sent you one

Gunner

I'll send you pix and info on the oven, I'd appreciate it if you would make
a recommendation and sell me the parts.

They are very simple to hook up. Power in, relay contacts
in/out..thermocouple in. (110/220 vac)

They will accept up to 39 different types of thermocouples. Very simple.
Reading the manuals (available on line and Ill send you the proper one
on CD) can be a confusing *******.

Programming can be simple..or a stone bitch..depending on how many set
points..ups and downs and delays for the particular treatment you are
trying to do. 800f for 20 minutes..rise to 1487F for 2 hours, drop to
450F for 30 minutes..up to 2200f for 4 minutes....chuckle..it can do
it..but it confuses the **** out of me. Fortunately Im doing single set
point heat treat...Up to 1400F for an hour and then off as an
example...G Whew!!

And Ill be damned if Ill sell you anything!!!

It will be a gift between friends. Crom knows you have sent me enough
brushes over the years.

As you can see in the photos, Ive installed one in one of my two ovens
and it works a treat. The other one is a bit more difficult..as the
front is slanted. Simply finding a way to mount it is the problem. But
its on my List.

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein