Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Semi precision grinding.

On 2011-01-03, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 18:39:36 -0500, William Bagwell
wrote:

On 2 Jan 2011 05:00:32 GMT, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Hmm ... conventional (horizontal) milling cutters -- 7/8" or 1"
diameter holes, with a keyway to lock to a key milled in the arbor. OD
is about 3", though much larger are available.

Stack the blades alternating with spacer rings. If you get
bowing in the middle under cutting loads, make one of the middle spacers
a bearing ring instead. A shoulder on one end of the arbor and a thread
for a nut to compress the stack on the other end is common with
horizontal milling machine arbors. Support the arbor at both ends, of
course.

Those cutters are more expensive -- but you can probably get
them in carbide to last nearly forever if this turns into a long term
project.

They are available in thicknesses from 1/32" up to several
inches, so the odds are that you can find something which works for you

Have not used a horizontal mill since 1977! Come to think of it I can not
recall even seeing a (manual) horizontal any where in the past 20 years. Big
CNC one I saw at an auction a few years back lacked the long arbor I remember
from school though one was probably available.

While I've got a small manual horizontal mill -- the Nichols,
appropriately enough. :-)

But another idea to consider for the future. Will start keeping my eye out for
a cheap horizontal mill.

You really want to take the idea, but not the horizontal mill.
The spindle speeds are not fast enough for clean woodwork.

Ive built a number of machines for a friend of mine, who slots PVC pipe
for the water industry.

A pair of bearing blocks and a 1" shaft will give you an arbor to stick
blades on and all you need are a pair of toothed pulleys and a
reasonable sized motor, like a 5hp @ 3600 rpm

That sounds like something which would use reasonable spindle
speeds for the task.

We are putting 4" carbide tipped slotting saws on the arbors, with
ground spacers between them..sometimes we have (30) .015 saws .125"
apart all running on an arbor at 3600 rpm.

While I think that he needs probably 0.125" saws, and spacers of
0.375" for a half inch center to center spacing. (Or do the bats prefer
closer groove spacing?)

Its very easy to do,..it just takes some consideration of what you
actually need, calc the horsepower and build the thing.

Oh..and our saw blades can cost us $25 each....but you can get by a hell
of a lot cheaper when tooling up for wood.

Especially if you can find a batch of first time resharpened
ones. You don't want a mix of different number of resharps because the
diameters would vary too much.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564