Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Change light in refrigerator

On Jan 2, 3:13*pm, TimR wrote:
On Jan 2, 3:37*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

?
"Metspitzer" wrote

The fix has to be twist tighter, but I really really made them tight
the first time. *Anyone else have this problem?

With power off, can you get something under the contact and lift it a bit?
Just a 1/16" may do it.

Twisting tighter is a mistake. *It compresses the flexible contact at
the bottom of the socket. *Then you have to tighten even further, and
eventually you compromise the glass to base connection on the bulb.

If you can get to it, usually you can lift that contact tab up with a
dry popsicle stick or something similar. *(unplug the refrigerator of
course) *Then once it's bent up a bit, screw in the bulb slowly. *When
it just lights, turn it exactly 1/8th turn more. *Not 1/4 or 1/2 as
most people do.

While I've done this successfully on a number of lamp sockets, I've
also run into a few where there's just no way to get access. *Weird.

It's ridiculously simple. Just solder the center pin on the lamp with
more solder so it sticks out further, then the bulb does not have to
be screwed in as far for the center contact to touch.