Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default Change light in refrigerator

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 14:33:34 -0600, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact
wrote:

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
.. .
I bought replacement lamps for my refrigerator. Both bulbs are new
and I tested them with a continuity tester to verify them. Neither
bulb works in either socket. I also tested the center pin inside the
fridge and it is hot (and will go off when I push the door switch).

Without taking the thing down, I can't see into the sockets. One
thing I noticed is the shell connections are plastic. There must be a
metal pin inside that touches the shell at some point, but I don't see
one. I gave the bulbs a pretty strong twist when I put them in. I
twisted tighter than I normally would have even tried, but neither
bulb will glow.

The fix has to be twist tighter, but I really really made them tight
the first time. Anyone else have this problem?

My fridge is a 15 year old Kenmore.

It sounds to me like you are on the right track. Bulbs are good as
verified with an ohm-meter. (You could also double verify by
putting into a lamp socket, assuming they have the standard base).

Voltage on the center contact in the fridge socket has been verified
and actually goes off via the door switch.

One question here is:
Where did you measure the voltage to - one meter lead on the center
contact, the other meter lead on ???

My voltage/continuity tester will glow hot with only one probe
touching +12 (I think) I know it will glow on 120V with one lead.
It is a Greenlee Voltage and continuity tester 6706. I love it.

They must not sell them anymore. I couldn't find a picture of it or
how much they cost.

Probably you are going to have to get into the socket which you say
is plastic, and if you tear it up, replace it with a conventional socket.

These are messy problems.

Bob-tx

and the other lead

About the only thing it can be is no connection

It turned out to be something embarrassingly simple. The replacement
lamps' base connectors are too short. A regular lamp works fine. I
almost broke the replacement lamps trying to get them in.

Thanks everyone