Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Bagwell William Bagwell is offline

Default Semi precision grinding.

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 14:03:32 -0800 (PST), whit3rd wrote:

Bat bleachers; kinda cute notion.

Maternity colony, so more like bat bordellos than bleachers.

Removing wood is wasteful of both wood and energy; why not
rip strips from a board, and glue or staple them as appropriate
to the substrate? Instead of a half-inch kerf, you'd be using
a .030" bandsaw's kerf when you ripped a strip from the board,
and maybe another .030" when you made the wide strip into
a narrower one. I've been known to apply glue with a paint roller,
it's REALLY quick to apply to a single strip.

Cutting individual strips of wood and gluing them down one by one would be
incredibly labor intensive. However you just gave me a potentially useful idea.
Every one here has seen expanded metal. I recently have been seeing expanded
*cardboard* being used as packing materiel. Not sure who is selling the
machines to produce it but the stuff does resemble expanded metal.

If it is possible to do similar with solid wood and glue two or three layers
together, it might be possible to produce really thin, light weight, yet stiff
panels that the bats could grip from either side. Might even be useful in other
applications?
--
William