Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default Help with Palmgren rotary table?

axolotl wrote:
I have an 8" Palmgren rotary table. The table is marked with 180
divisions, or 2 degrees per division. The crank has 100 divisions. One
turn of the crank turns the table 9 divisions, or 18 degrees, making
one division on the crank .18 degrees. Nothing appears to be direct
reading. Is the design screwy, or do I not know the proper technique?

Kevin Gallimore

Sounds like a 40:1 worm , which is a standard ratio - mine's 90:1 which
makes each turn 4°. Do you have index plates with it ? I can't remember the
calculation offhand , but with the plates you can divide a circle into
however many segments you want - think "gearcuttung" , where the degrees
don't really matter but the number of teeth does .
--
Snag
Learning keeps