Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley[_2_] ransley[_2_] is offline

Default Tankless Water Heater

On Jan 2, 5:52*am, harry wrote:
On Jan 2, 1:54*am, lh wrote:

On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 15:08:51 -0800, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 16:52:51 -0600, lh wrote:

I am new to this group.

I am looking for *information concerning maitenance on tankless water
heaters. My daughter has one that needs flushing and the periodic
maintmence performed. *The local plumbers don't work on them and the
big city guys want an arm and leg, stating that various items are
required. They want to replace the heater at a cost of $4,500. *We
think before replacing, the flushing and strainer cleaning should take
place to see what happens.

I suspect there is a knowledge base concerning these things, but I
don't know where to find them. *Can anybody help?

Tanks

Have you tried the manufacturer's web site? 'Course you will need the
brand and model number :-\

We have done what you recommend. My daughter *was trying to get a
plumber to perform the mainenance, but one doesn't install nor wprk on
tankless heaters. Another didn't want to perform the maintenance, but
wanted to enlarge the gas line and install a new heater. The gas line
meets the guidlines shown in the manual.

It takes an hour to flush the heatexchanger and clean the strainers.
The heater has been neglected, but if a new one is required, the price
quoted was excessive, like $4500. *I am looking for a plumber that
will work on it.

I watched the you-tube videos on flushing one and I am willing to do
it, but I would like better information before I start.

Thanks for responding.- Hide quoted text -

Perfectly lucid explanations. If you can't understand them now you
have no hope. Just pay out the money. Get someone in.- Hide quoted text -

If he just Pays Out The Money, without knowing whats needed, he is
most likely going to be ripped off. Would you pay $4500.00 US to do a
swap out of a tankless that costs maybe $1200.00 and is 1-2 hrs
work? Maybe you would. Cleaning one is easy, DIY, if it has the
flushing drains installed, and if not they can be installed in a few
hours.