Posted to rec.woodworking
Spark Spark is offline

Default Help with a dust collector

On Jan 2, 8:05*am, dpb wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
On 1/1/2011 11:49 AM, dpb wrote:
dpb wrote:

As is, it'll put everything into the bag; ideally for a collector
this size
you would feed the input into a cyclone separator...

Speaking of which, the guy you got it from didn't have a cyclone (or did
he just not sell it and was upsizing the fan only, maybe)?

The way I'd want an installation of this to look would be sotoo of--

http://grizzly.com/products/G0440

My setup exactly, except that mine doesn't have the stand and is mounted
directly to the wall, like this:

http://cdn5.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/g/g0440_det1.jpg

There's a picture of the wall setup in the grouping at the link--'tis a
good-looking unit, indeed.

For OP, of course, w/ his independent fan his setup would be to feed the
outlet of the cyclone to the inlet of the fan (and I'd swap the two port
connector there for a single and put it on the inlet of the cyclone
instead assuming needed more than one main trunk line anyway). *Then the
outlet of the cyclone to a waste container.

Would certainly be a far more serviceable system than the huge bag
collecting everything as currently.

BTW, I'd wager that puppy is pretty noisy; OP also may want to examine
building a sound enclosing area around it or if possible put it out of
the shop. *Of course, if he's in a residential area and this is a
home-garage shop, that may not be feasible considering the neighbors...

It is indeed noisy. It's in my home garage shop so putting it outside
is not an option. I live in So Cal and the house next door is about
10ft away. An enclosure is a good idea. I don't believe that the guy I
bought it from had a cyclone container attached to it. I think he told
me the big stuff fell out of the the bottom port on the right side of
the unit.The rest went through the fan, but he said the fan was heavy
duty enough to not be damaged by the stuff that went through it. I'm
not sure how that's going to work. There's so much air coming out of
that bottom port on the right side that it's going to kick up a ton of
dust. I really appreciate all the help from you guys. I'm obviously
going to have to do some homework. First step is to contact the
company that Sonny found that sells this device. I'm hoping I can
obtain some documentation from them. The bulk of the material moving
through this thing will be dust from my cabinet saw, planer and chop
saw.
Mark