Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Semi precision grinding.

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 07:15:23 -0500, William Bagwell
wrote:

On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 14:48:10 -0500, Ned Simmons wrote:

T1-11 plywood? The T stands for "textured" -- similar to rough sawn
boards.

None I have seen is rough enough. The texture its self is plenty deep but a
smooth and rounded texture. The existing grooves are way too far apart to be
useful. Plus all the center baffles need to be rough on both sides.

T1-11 comes in 4, 8, and 12" dado/groove spacing. Put that on the
outside and just run 1/8" x 3/16" deep tablesaw blade grooves at 3/4
or 1" spacing inside, on both sides of the baffles, horizontally.

I thought bats were pretty fussy about building materials. Is the
formaldehyde glue in plywood not a problem?

Exterior plywood uses phenol-formaldehyde which out gasses far less than the
urea-formaldehyde typically used with interior plywood. Interior plywood is
unsuitable for other reasons. (De-laminates in the presence of bat urine) Plus
bat houses have no floor or bottom and unless intended for extremely cold
climates must have at least one vent. So basically formaldehyde is not a big
concern.

That's what I understand. I helped my neighbor build some a few years
ago but never heard of their occupancy. He painted them, against my
urging, though.

Fish and Wildlife Service bathouse building info:
http://www.fws.gov/Asheville/pdfs/beneficialbats.pdf

--
Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins
when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in