Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Basic questions about telecommunications

On 1/2/2011 12:03 AM Jeff Liebermann spake thus:

Try this speed test:
http://www.ispgeeks.com/wild/modules.php?name=CapacityTest
It's not a nice neat graph as you were expecting, but it does give
repeatable tests from a well connected server. I'll see if I can find
another server that gives repeated data suitable for graphing.

I did try it. Interesting.

The test ran fine, but I was surprised to see the Java speed indicator
zoom up to ~700 kbps. I figured there was something perhaps bogus about
the speed test, but then I noticed that my Sygate monitor window also
showed speeds I'd never gotten before; the incoming (download) speed
went up to something like 120 K. Remember, my speeds usually bounce
between ~4 and ~6 K here.

So now I'm really confused. Are these transfer rates real? Remember, I'm
on a 56K modem.

Here's what they reported:

Your download capacity of 627 kbps is very low compared to most
broadband connections.*

Your upload capacity of 493 kbps is acceptable.

Your Quality of Service was measured at 30%, which shows that your
connection is unable to produce a constant stream of data.

* Except, of course, that I don't *have* a broadband connection!

Regarding your generous offer to perhaps set up a host for me to use to
check speeds, thanks, but remember this is just idle curiosity on my part.

If I ever have a real problem, maybe I'll take up your offer, and then
I'll really owe you one.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.