Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wasps in breaker box

On 1/1/2011 9:40 PM, benick wrote:
As I have said in a couple of other threads I just completed a bathroom
reno and I ran into a rather interesting problem..When I took off the
faceplate to add a breaker for the bathroom I found live wasps and about
3 inches of dead ones in the bottom of the box..I went outside and
observed wasps flying in and out of the gaps around the 3 wires entering
the weather head..I can't believe they made it all the way down thru the
meter into the basement but they did..I hosed the weatherhead with wasp
spray and cold weather came and I haven't seen anymore but I'm looking
for a more permanant solution..Is there a way to seal around the wires??
I know I will have to call the power company to kill the power to do
this but need a plan before doing so and don't expect a clerk at Home
Depot to know the answer so I'm asking the knowledgable folks here...Any
suggestions ?? Thanks as always...

When I've installed a weather head, I've sealed it with duct seal. It's
a gray compound that looks and feels like modeling clay. I seal them
from the inside too before putting the metal hood/cover on the assembly.
You should be able to remove the metal hood without disturbing the wires
and fill the backside with any sort of nonconducting foam or caulking
compound. I wonder if one of the knockouts in the bakelite insulator is
open with no wire in it?

TDD