Posted to rec.woodworking
Artemus[_4_] Artemus[_4_] is offline

Default Help with a dust collector

"Jack Stein" wrote in message
On 12/31/2010 8:37 PM, Spark wrote:

After I wired it up and turned it on,
it's obvious that the top port sucks air in and the bottom port blows
air out. I'm still not sure how this thing works. For instance, will
the bottom port spew dust or will that all end up in the container you
can see in the picture that is surrounded by the white felt sleeve. If
anyone has any experience with this type of dust collector, please
feel free to comment.

I would go to Home Depot and get a Fernco fitting that would connect my
inlet pipe to a PVC Pipe, and run the PVC pipe to a pre filter/collector
drum.You want as little dust and debris as possible to reach the
fan/filter.

On mine I piped the inlet to a large paper drum in the middle of my shop.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/dc1020457.jpg

Then I built wooden gates (I'm a woodworker after all) that go to
individual tools, mainly, Jointer, Table saw and Belt/disk sander.
Instead of building a cyclone I simply put 45° pvc pipe connectors in
the drum to get the air cycling around the outside of the drum, with the
DC connected to the middle of the top. The heavy dust falls to the
bottom when the air expands into the drum and whats left spins around
and falls to the outside of the drum. Cean air is sucked out the middle
top of the drum to the fan.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/dc1020458.jpg

This works great for me, and was, like me, cheap as all get out. All I
get is some fine dust, mostly from sanding, in my filter. You do not
need a giant bag on your collector using my method, a small filter is
about all you need. Maybe a hoover sweeper vacuum bag, something like that.

--
Jack
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I added this to my pre-separator http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm
and it made a big difference in how much stuff stays in the bottom of the
can. I suspect it's the reduced turbulence downstairs that keeps the
planer and jointer chips from going out to the filters.
Art