Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default Basic questions about telecommunications

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 16:34:24 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

OK, this question is totally out of idle curiosity. No customers' jobs
depend on it. No actual electronic repair issues are involved.

Like a surprising number of people, I still have dial-up Internet
access. (Yeah, I know, I'm living in the Stone Age.) So I'm quite
familiar with various connections speeds. I also can observe my network
traffic on my firewall's control panel (I use Sygate, a freebie, which
I'm quite happy with).

What I don't understand is why network traffic, at least as reported by
Sygate, is so choppy. On a good day, I get a "fast" connection, meaning
48 kbps, or maybe even (gasp!) 49.2; that's the fastest speed I ever
get.

LOL