Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Bagwell William Bagwell is offline

Default Semi precision grinding.

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 11:56:27 -0500, "Tom Gardner" wrote:

If the volume is high enough, get a quote from a moulding company. If you
like I can get a quote from one of my block suppliers that has a knife lab.
IF the volume is there.

Several places on line advertise $16 per inch for custom knives. Not bad until
you consider a jointer has three blades.

But yes, it is all about volume. The pulverizor mill at my work has disks that
are over five grand a set and IIRC around $700 to have sharpened. However, they
will grind over three million pounds of plastic before needing to be
re-sharpened so the cost per pound is insignificant.
--
William