Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Bagwell William Bagwell is offline

Default Semi precision grinding.

On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 11:22:55 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I like that idea. The 12-in-one-pass is an efficiency that you won't
get with anything else. Well, you could take a 12" planer & modify its
knives.

A 12" planer would not help me unless it was open on one side. An enclosed
planer would need to be at least 24" wide. Might Google for 12" jointers
though.

That sounds good to me, too. Clamp or bolt the knives together to be
sure of getting the "teeth" aligned, do a rough layout with Dykem (the
spacing and width will tend to vary a lot if you just wing it). I have
a holder for my angle grinder, so I'd use that & hold the knives in
hand, but vise-ing the knives & holding the grinder wouldn't be much
harder. I'd use a cut-off blade for better definition of the edges.

Ah, I was envisioning doing the grinding with the jointer *running*. Your way
will be a bunch safer.

Sounds like fun.

Building the mold has certainly been fun. I'm trying to avoid as much boring
production work as possible.
--
William