Posted to alt.home.repair
dilbert firestorm dilbert firestorm is offline

Default auto close gate mod help

On 12/30/2010 9:56 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:
On 12/30/2010 10:26 PM, WW wrote:
"dilbert wrote in message
hi all

I had a little project that turned a regular gate into an auto-close gate.
the mod worked, unfortunately, it worked too well. the gate slams too
hard and too fast. This action causes the gate to shift positions slightly
along the wall everytime its used. suggestions on any way to slow it
down?

this is what I used.

for the gate

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images...2125_29772.jpg

springs:
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

2 snap hooks
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Would a storm door closer work? ww

That's what I think too.

I fooled around with a friend's contraption, they used springs to self
close doors. There's not much you can do to fix the obvious faults.
Adapting a door closer (how about that, a common device made to do just
that job!?) is a much better plan.

Jeff

Jeff

you're right that there appears to be no way to fix this type of fault.

it does appear the door closer may be the way to go.

where do you suggest the door closer be mounted on the gate?

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!