Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Tserkezis John Tserkezis is offline

Default Basic questions about telecommunications

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Thanks for your reply. However, I'm not really reporting or trying to
fix a problem here. I think my connection, for the most part, works
fine. (Actually, there is an easy fix for my problem: $$$.)

I'm just trying to understand *why* it works that way (speed constantly
bouncing between two "notches"). It seems like it's *supposed* to work
that way; why?

I was also going to say something about how it might have something to
do with the negotiation process between client and host, the "REQ/ACK"
process or the equivalent. Not knowing the details of TCP and all that,
I can only guess at what this mechanism is.

I didn't entertain the packetising of data, because that is faster than
the graph logging anyway, so you shouldn't even see it.

Besides, from what I remember of modem links, it never behaved that way
anyway, by the time the speed graph showed anything of interest, it was
reasonably steady.

What's the timing of your graph anyway? How frequently does it take a
sample?
--
I'm not opinionated, I'm just always right!