Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Door locks and keys

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 18:38:24 -0500, "SBH" wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 17:25:19 -0500,
You can buy a re-keying kit for the Kwikset locks. Each kit allows you
to re-key six locks. The kit is about 10-15 dollars. It comes with two
keys IIRC. I was just reading the other day as I need to change all
my locks. I can't find the link right now, but it also discusses how
to determine if the lock is a Smartkey or not.

Note that each lockset manufacturer has a different "kit" and are not
interchangeable by brand name.

OK, I just read the link you provided and the kit comes with two keys.

Thanks

If you re-key the locks with a kit, give both original keys to the
landlord for safe keeping. Have tenant keys cut from the original.

Reason: Cutting a new (tenant) key from a secondary (previously) cut
key, there is a chance of the key failing or difficulty in operation
of the lock. Always have new keys made using the original. Each time
a key is cut for the lock it will eventually be over-cut and not be as
accurate.