Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Door locks and keys

"SBH" wrote in message
I just had a conversation with my neighbor, who owns her house and takes in
roommates. This is her first house and everything is new for her. I told her
if she ever needed any help with anything she's more than welcome to ask,
which she has taken advantage of on occasion. Anyway, she's a good church
going young girl who gets her roommates from people of her church (females
only). Even though I would think they are fairly trustworthy souls, she's
somewhat apprehensive about the keys to the doors. Her two roommates just
notified her about leaving (second set of roommates) and she asked me about
the Kwikset system which allows the owner to change keys. I told her there
are conflicting reviews and many not so favorable. Therefore, I started
wondering if there are other alternatives for people like her or landlords
who may have issues with frequent tenants/roommates without having to
purchase another set of locks or have a locksmith re-key the current ones.

Anyone experience this similar problem?

changed to plain text for your convenience, you're welcome

I own vacation rentals, and have now for about five years. I wish I could
turn in all the locks and keys I have in a box in the garage. In order for
you to have a lock rekeyed, you have to have the lock with it, so many of
them are absolutely useless except for fishing weights.

I found the Kwikset SmartLocks a few years ago, and started using them. I
have had incidents since then that allowed me to change the key in 30
seconds, no cost.

What types of downside reviews have you read? I'd like to know, as I
personally have not had any negative instances with any of them. The keys
on my home, my three vacation rentals, and my cabin are all the same, but I
could change any of them at a moment's notice. I have a long string of keys
that go to locks, gates, sheds, etc, and it's nice to just have one for the
doors.

It's really easy to change the keys at 2 AM after an incident, and not wait
until Monday morning and pay $$$.

Please post the negative reviews, as maybe there is something I missed.

Me, I like them.

Steve