Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Good all-around vacuum cleaners

On Dec 31, 1:21*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote

As I said before, I've tried both and I don't want to deal with a
bagless. The rest of the world is free to make their own choices with
absolutely no pushback from me. I'm not defending nor denegrating
either type of vac. I'm simply talking about what I prefer.

I have about six vacuums. *I PREFER one or the other depending on what it is
that I am doing, as no one vacuum performs all the functions.

True dat. I think that the discussion of bagless vs. bagged is more
about the vac we might use for regular vacuuming like the living room,
kitchen, bedrooms, etc. At least that's what I'm talking about.

When I want to vacuum up a lot of drywall or concrete dust or waste, I use
my shop vac. *I toss the canister contents, then toss the filter up in the
air, letting it hit the ground three or four times, then take a stick to it
to knock all the stuff off that's clogged in the folds. *It is a messy dusty
thing.

I go one step farther and either use my Mighty Mite to vacuum the
folds after tossing and banging the filter - when the filter is dry -
or I'll hose off the folds with a my garden hose nozzle set on Jet if
it's (and I'm) already wet and muddy.

Did you ever notice how long it takes for drywall dust to disappear
from an asphalt driveway after having the filter land on it a few
times? :-)

BTW...If you take the Y fitting out of the inside of the shop vac,
it's great for getting the leaves out from under the Holly bushes or
any other plant where you don't want to stick your hand or take the
leaves out 1 by 1. The Y fitting makes it clog up too often.

I do my wife's gardens with the shop vac every spring.

I have a good Riccar that does floors, but doesn't do floors very well. *It
says it does, but it doesn't. *It does do carpet well, though. *It has a
hose and attachments, and it is good in some places.

I have a Mighty Mite that I use a lot, you just can't fit much in it as it
has a small bag. *I took the 1" x 4" head and put velcro around the edges,
and that works fine for cleaning my pool table.

I love my Mighty Mite for the cars, stairs, insides of big projects,
etc. I'm still using the one I bought back in the early 80's. I know
that they make more powerful ones now, but that old workhorse won't
quit. I'm not gentle with it either. It's fallen down stairs, been
dragged by a car, etc. One might say I'm *trying* to break it so I can
buy a new one, but it just won't die.The only repairs I've done is
replace the switch and one of the big back wheels. I actually ran it
with a homemade wooden wheel for years until the switch went bad and I
ordered both parts at the same time.

I've found that I have to be careful with the bags though and stick to
quality ones, like the original Eureka bags. I tried some cheap ones
from the interweb and they were so thick that the machine lost suction
way before the bags were full. I was going through so many bags it
wasn't worth the savings.

I also have adaptor for my shop vac to fit the Mighy Mite's hose so I
can use all of the MM's attachments but with the power of the shop
vac.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41M3TA9V19L.jpg

When I see the prices for some of the new bagless types, and read about
people who don't like them, I figure I'll continue using what I have, or buy
a yard sale replacement, and for the difference, I can go on a vacation.
Most vacuums are overpriced and underperform.

Steve