Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Good all-around vacuum cleaners

On Dec 31, 12:42*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Eric wrote:
It's time to replace the ancient Electrolux (I think it's a model XXX
or model 60. Probably a collectors' item, but the hose has gotten
leaky.) I've seen good advice here on a diverse range of subjects, so
I thought maybe some of you could clarify the current jumble of
over-hyped vacuum cleaners.

Top concerns would be power, reliability, and ease of cleaning. The
old Electrolux wasn't so bad, but I figure there must be vast
improvements in construction and efficiency by now.

I don't need anything on an industrial scale, but I do volunteer
animal rescue work, which does result in way more shredded stuff on
the floor than the typical civilized household. And sawdust from
building stuff for the critters. Nice to have power and capacity for
that. And nice if it's not a nightmare to clean.

I've heard mixed reviews of Dyson, so I'm not sure what the real story
is there. Miele seems to be well-regarded but expensive ($300?!). Just
heard someone talking about a low-cost brand called "Emer" but I'm not
familiar.

Any info would be appreciated.

Don't laugh.

A wet-dry shop-vac, with the proper attachements, will out-perform most
"regular" vacuum cleaners.

I've got a Rigid that I bought on Black Friday. That sumbitch sucks better
that the French Horn player I dated in college.

Aside: I recently scored a Roomba from Craigslist (for $25.00!). After
replacing the battery, it works swell. Of course it only "sweeps," not
vacuums, but it gathers an amazing amount of debris.

I hate to admit it, but it's somewhat entertaining to watch the gizmo scurry
around a room like a drunk trying to navigate the mirrored-maze at the
circus midway. When it encounters the fringe on a rug, it goes as nutty as
the third monkey on Noah's gangplank. Most of the time, after a lot of
to-ing and fro-ing, and twitching and turning, and beeping and honking, it
manages to disentangle itself from the rug and continue on with its mission.- Hide quoted text -

You have a Roomba, but do you have any pets?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf9wH...1&feature=fvwp