Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Good all-around vacuum cleaners

On Dec 31, 11:42*am, "
wrote:
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 08:13:23 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Dec 31, 10:44*am, wrote:
The baggless vacuums, even the cheaper ones work great IF you
can empty them outside. They can make a mess when emptying
and some have filters you have to brush clean.

You can buy three of these cheaper than one overpriced Dyson.

Empty it into where? A garbage can so that every time I toss something
else in there I'll get a puff of dust/hair/dander all up in my face?

I bag my garbage. *Nothing flies around when I add another.

As do I. Do you also bag the dust/hair/dander from the bagless vac? If
you do, that solves the "all up in my face" issue, but if I'm going to
bag the stuff from a bagless vac, I'd rather just start with the bag
in the vac.

I don't want to go through the hassle of grabbing a bag, going
outside, dumping the vac canister into the bag, dealing with the dust,
tieing it off and tossing it in the can. Heck, I don't even like
emptying my shop vac if it contains anything other than sawdust
because of the dust it throws around! Again, that's just me. Again, I
fault no one that doesn't mind doing that.

I keep my garbage can in my garage and I don't need the "mess" you
mentioned in the garage anymore than I need it in the house.

If I dumped it on the floor I wouldn't notice it in my garage, for all the
sawdust.

Again, if that works for you, that's great. It's just not for me. My
shop floor has the sawdust while my garage is more for storage, an
entrance into my side door and the occasional larger scale project if
I need more room.

I won't fault anyone for using a bagless if they are willing to put up
with the dumping part of it, but it's just not for me.

Changing bags isn't as clean as you pretend.

I don't recall "pretending" anything. However, I'm pretty sure that we
can agree that changing bags is considerably less messy than dumping
an open canister into a bag and/or a can. I haven't done the requisite
testing, but I'm pretty sure the air quality in the general vicinity
of a bagless vs. a bagged unit after a change/dump would vary
considerably.

As I said before, I've tried both and I don't want to deal with a
bagless. The rest of the world is free to make their own choices with
absolutely no pushback from me. I'm not defending nor denegrating
either type of vac. I'm simply talking about what I prefer.