Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus7397 Ignoramus7397 is offline

Default Bad Servo on KMB1 ElectroCraft 07 02 03 049

On 2010-12-31, Karl Townsend wrote:

Your spindle sounds like a DC servo
but double check.

Why do you think that? It looks like a large 3 phase motor to me. 6 leads
going into it plus a ground. The Mitsubishi inverter tends to support that.
It doesn't look anything like a conventional servo and its about ten times
the size, LOL.

It is a 3 HP 3 phase motor.

Speaking of VFDs. I had been looking at rotary phase converters to power
this machine, but why not just use a 1 phase in 3 phase out VFD rated for
the horsepower of the motor?

This is DEFINITELY the way to go.

I recently helped my friend rewire a Hurco KM1 to 220v from 440v, so I
know something and my memory is still fresh.

The way the KM1 works is that it is a three phase mill, but only so to
run the spindle motor, the optional coolant pump and the optional
chiller whatever (my friend had neither).

All control stuff runs from 1 phase ONLY. No weirdness like in other
machines (say my Bridgeport) that need all three phases to run the
control.

So, converting it to single phase is very easy.

It looks like the net cost would be about the same. If I empty box
the machine its not going to make any difference to the rest of it.

If your control is bad, this becomes your only choice. Does the
control boot? Got pictures?

And speaking of empty box... Any reason to keep that huge control box on
that big swing arm. Seems like its just in the way.

post a pic.

I put a monitor and a drawer cabinet into mine, works great.

P.S. It looks like Iggy's spare servos run to fast for this
machine. Anybody else got some that might work? Yes, I have been
shopping around too.

I sold a shipload of Fanuc A06 motors a while ago... $100 each.