Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric[_13_] Eric[_13_] is offline

Default Good all-around vacuum cleaners

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 00:43:13 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

?
"Eric" wrote in message
.. .
It's time to replace the ancient Electrolux (I think it's a model XXX
or model 60. Probably a collectors' item, but the hose has gotten
leaky.) I've seen good advice here on a diverse range of subjects, so
I thought maybe some of you could clarify the current jumble of
over-hyped vacuum cleaners.

Top concerns would be power, reliability, and ease of cleaning. The
old Electrolux wasn't so bad, but I figure there must be vast
improvements in construction and efficiency by now.

Consider a new hose for the Electrolux. Or get the existing hose replaced
using the same ends. You can get them to fit models made back in the 1930's
from your local dealer or places like www.totalvac.com

At home we have a Eureka (15+ years) and Electrolux (20+ years) and it is a
toss up as to which is better. At work I bought a Panasonic upright and our
cleaning lady likes it too. IIRC, it was in the $250 range.

The Electrolux hose itself tends to get clogged. I did try to seal it,
using a silicone spray compound, and that did help. But it didn't
improve the frustrating hose-clogging problem. Maybe the newer hoses
are less prone, but I don't have my hopes up.

In any case, the replacement hose is around $70 to $100+, which would
amount to a down payment on a new vacuum cleaner.