Posted to alt.home.repair
nefletch nefletch is offline

Default Hot water stinks like sulfur

Do yourself a favor, go to the hardware store, buy a 3/4 galvanized plug,
and eflon tape. If you don't have a GOOD socket set, borrow one from a
friend, make sure you have a loooong breaker bar for the socket set. You
need a 1/2 drive socket set. Turn off the water, open a faucet to drain
pressure, take out anode, throw it away, install plug, turn on water. Soft
water and anodes do not get along. And for you pussies out there, don't
even go there with the whole "IT WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY" shut it, how many
people ever got a warranty issued for a water heater.....get over it. I do
have a little experience here....been selling and installing water softeners
for 37 years.....your welcome

"natp" wrote in message
We had a new water heater installed and now the hot water stinks like
rotten eggs. The people who installed it have not been helpful.

I think the same thing happened when the house was built. Back then,
the anode was removed from the water heater and the stink went away.

Questions:
- Does the smell come from bacteria or some inorganic chemical reaction?
- Instead of removing the anode, can it be replaced with something
made from a different metal that still protects the heater from
corrosion but doesn't make the water stink?
- Typically, how long is the anode? (Can a new anode be installed
without disconnecting the pipes running to the water heater
so it can be tipped sideways?)
- Money is tight. Is removing or replacing the anode a DIY project?

The well was serviced a few months ago. The water was tested and found
to contain bacteria. I put chlorine in the well and tested it again:
no bacteria now. The water heater is fed from the water softener.