Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Hot water stinks like sulfur

On 12/30/2010 09:58 PM, natp wrote:
We had a new water heater installed and now the hot water stinks like
rotten eggs. The people who installed it have not been helpful.

I think the same thing happened when the house was built. Back then,
the anode was removed from the water heater and the stink went away.

Questions:
- Does the smell come from bacteria or some inorganic chemical reaction?
- Instead of removing the anode, can it be replaced with something
made from a different metal that still protects the heater from
corrosion but doesn't make the water stink?
- Typically, how long is the anode? (Can a new anode be installed
without disconnecting the pipes running to the water heater
so it can be tipped sideways?)
- Money is tight. Is removing or replacing the anode a DIY project?

The well was serviced a few months ago. The water was tested and found
to contain bacteria. I put chlorine in the well and tested it again:
no bacteria now. The water heater is fed from the water softener.

here's one link

http://waterheaterrescue.com/pages/W...r-heaters.html

nate

--