Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Need advice about chimney sweeps' recommendations.

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 12:34:23 -0600, "
wrote:

Ours had a "glass" front. It looked like a fireplace but was quite efficient
and clean. The only problem I had with the thing is that if I let the fire
die (e.g. overnight) I had to let it die completely and clean the glass. If I
didn't, the next fire would bake the smoke onto the glass and it was a RPITA
to get clean again. As long as I cleaned it before firing it up it was and
easy job, but that required letting the fire die completely.

The only thing I know aobut htat is that when I had an old outdoor gas
grill with a window, I was able to clean a lot of the dirt off with a
razor scraper. I think it looked very good afterwards, but I don't
know how that comapares to a "neglected" glass fire screen.