Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Need advice about chimney sweeps' recommendations.

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 05:56:10 -0800 (PST), wrote:

IT sounds to me like the chimney sweep is full of crap. I had a guy
out several years ago
and he checked both the fireplace, furnace end, and from the roof.
Part of the basic service
is to INSPECT the whole thing. You can't inspect the upper and
outside parts of the chimney, ie
see if it cracked and falling apart, has a proper cap, etc without
going up on the roof. One thing my
guy spotted was that the cap covering the chimeny chase was rusting
and he recommended
covering it with a heavy duty thick coating to protect it.

You remind me that the earlier chimney sweep, ahem, 20 years ago, did
go up on the roof. These guys otoh, didn't arrive until 4:45. There
was still enough light to do the roof things if they had started right
away, but they didn't. They were going to an appointment when they
left me, and by then it was totally dark.

It was strange. I called him about the fireplace and didn't think of
the furnace, and he never reminded me either. If he had, I probably
would have done the furnace too.

If his brushes are such crap that they can't clean 1/4 or 1/2 inch of
oil burner soot, which is what
he's there to do, then what good are they or his service?
Personally, based on what you say he
told you, I wouldn't have paid him.

I thought about not paying. I even thought about what you guys would
say when I told you I paid. But he had sent the brush up the chimney
and even if someone else sent it up and down more than once it
wouldn't have gotten much since it got so little the first time.

They should send the brush up and down more than once, shouldn't they?

Interestingly, the thing they had me sign doesn't say I'm satisfied
with their work, it only releasees them from liability:

"The company has explained to me and I now fully understand the
apparent condition of my fireplace, appliance, chinmney or vent system
at this time. I understand that the Company has performed a visual
inspection and is not reponsible for hidden or concealed defects. We
have discussed visible defects and the company has recommended
corrective actions. Since hidden construction defects and conditions
of use are beyond the control of thee Company, I undersnat no
guarantee or warranty of fire safey of any appliance is given or
implied."

I'd get another service out there.

Okay, I would just call the other place today, but I want a little
time to figure out the family relationship. Are they working with
each other, bad cop, good cop, or are they competitors. Even if their
father started a second company, if the children, the cousins, are
running the companies now, they might have decided to cooperate.
Unlikely that they're in cahoots but I want to read more reviews if I
can find them.

I want to have a fire in the fireplace too, before I call, in case the
conversation turns to fireplaces.

The fireplace may need to be
repaired. I'm no expert on that, but
I can tell you a friend bought a 4 year old house with one of the
typical wood burning fireplaces that's
used in frame construction next to wood. There was about a 3/16" gap
between where the ceramic panels meet in the back corner.

Right. I have that too, on both sides, and Right. It's not broken
there but the crack isn't open at all. (I still haven't had a fire,
maybe tonight.)

The home inspector flagged it and my
friend then had one of the largest
fireplace shops in the area evaluate it. They said it was perfectly
normal and that's how they are
designed, it's necessary for expansion, etc. No point for them to
lie, they could have sold an expensive
repair instead of a $75 service visit.

Right. There are plenty of honest companies.

Now, that's different than a crack, but clearly they must have
insulation and steel behind those panels in these
fireplaces to prevent a spark from getting through that opening. My
guesss, and it's only a guess, is that the hairline crack
you have by itself is not a danger. I think the potential problem is
that the crack might lead to a whole
piece of the ceramic lining falling away, which would then be a
danger. But you need a fireplace pro to give
you that evaluation. Or you could find out the name of the
manufacturer and see what they have on their website
give them a call, etc.

I have the fireplace instructions, but I havent' found them yet.

Thanks and thanks krw.