Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default CFL vs incandescent bulb: Brightness

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:00:07 -0500, "Twayne"
wrote:

In ,
Nate Nagel typed:
On 12/30/2010 01:43 AM, mm wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 01:53:00 +0000,
(Bill G) wrote:

Depends. The decorative globe ones that you would use in a
bathroom are still pretty bad. Also if you use CFLs
outside, they're REAL dim when it's below freezing until
they come up to temp, although that is outside their design
parameters.
nate

I havent' used any outside.

That light slowness happens inside my garage until the bulbs warm up but
those are 8' fl bulbs. On the porch, exposed to the temperatures down to 18
below F so far, surprisingly, the CFLs come on just fine. I expected them to
take some time to get to full brightness like insde the garage too but they
are up to brightness in less than ten seconds or so.
Sounds like I should check the brand and stick with it! I do know they're
the daylight types, so maybe that's the difference.

That doesn't make sense. Daylight takes an hour to brighten up.
Really it's not fully bright until 10 or 11AM.

What are others' experiences that way?

HTH,

Twayne`