Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bad Servo on KMB1 ElectroCraft 07 02 03 049

"Ignoramus7319" wrote in message
I have a set of servos that may work.

Your story sounds a little hard to believe, do you think that it was a
retrofit attempt gone bad?

No, it was originally a CNC machine, and all the parts have Hurco tags. I
think something ran into it while it was warehoused. The fiberglass cover
over that motor looks different than all the rest of the paint. Like it was
newer or off a different machine or something. As far as encoders its not
uncommon for 20-30 year old plastic to fall apart. The encoder on the X
axis looked smashed. The one on the Y axis was intact, but crumbled when I
touched it. I was a little surprised that there was no encoder or even a
pigtail for one on the Z axis.

You want to call me and talk about those servos? (how big, voltage, shaft
size, etc)

Or if its more convenient just drop me an e-mail with motor
specs/model/price to:
bob(at)yumabassman(dot)com

My cell is (nine two eight) 580 - one two seven zero

Or if you don't have free long distance
eight hundred 296 nine 765

It was sold as a non working machine, so I was surprised when I went to pick
it up and was told that it mostly did work. I was planning on retrofitting
it anyway. If any of the servo motors etc are good its really a bonus.

Bob

On 2010-12-30, Bob La Londe wrote:
I started just checking things out on the Hurco KMB1. The shaft encoder
came off with the cover on the X axis. Also, the motor is definitely
bad.
The shaft wobbles in the housing. I already pulled it off. I like the
neat
like flex coupling even if its a pain to get to. Its two seperate stacks
of
stainless spring flex plates. Very simple and elegant.

The shaft encoder plastic crumbled and fell apart on the Y axis also.

There appears to have never been a shaft encoder on the Z-axis. There
isn't
one, and I don't see a pigtail for it to plug in like on the X & Y.

Anyway, the broken motor is an Electro Craft 07 03 02 049. As near as I
can
tell its no longer made, but ElectroCraft has made various incarnations
of
this motor over the years. Anybody know what a good replacement might
be?
How about having a good used one (or two (spare)) laying around you would
sell cheap?

P.S. I have already decided that I am going to retrofit this thing to a
new
controller and run it either with Mach or EMC.

P.P.S. I'll figure out what shaft encoders I want to use when I figure
out
what driver/controller I want to use.

P.P.P.S. Not sure about the whole air brake thing. There is a brake
caliper and brake disc on the spindle, but both the spindle and the
Z-Axis
move manually by hand with no air and no power to the machine. Seems if
it
was fail secure it would be locked.