Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus7319 Ignoramus7319 is offline

Default Bad Servo on KMB1 ElectroCraft 07 02 03 049

I have a set of servos that may work.

Your story sounds a little hard to believe, do you think that it was a
retrofit attempt gone bad?

On 2010-12-30, Bob La Londe wrote:
I started just checking things out on the Hurco KMB1. The shaft encoder
came off with the cover on the X axis. Also, the motor is definitely bad.
The shaft wobbles in the housing. I already pulled it off. I like the neat
like flex coupling even if its a pain to get to. Its two seperate stacks of
stainless spring flex plates. Very simple and elegant.

The shaft encoder plastic crumbled and fell apart on the Y axis also.

There appears to have never been a shaft encoder on the Z-axis. There isn't
one, and I don't see a pigtail for it to plug in like on the X & Y.

Anyway, the broken motor is an Electro Craft 07 03 02 049. As near as I can
tell its no longer made, but ElectroCraft has made various incarnations of
this motor over the years. Anybody know what a good replacement might be?
How about having a good used one (or two (spare)) laying around you would
sell cheap?

P.S. I have already decided that I am going to retrofit this thing to a new
controller and run it either with Mach or EMC.

P.P.S. I'll figure out what shaft encoders I want to use when I figure out
what driver/controller I want to use.

P.P.P.S. Not sure about the whole air brake thing. There is a brake
caliper and brake disc on the spindle, but both the spindle and the Z-Axis
move manually by hand with no air and no power to the machine. Seems if it
was fail secure it would be locked.