Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Thermal conductivity and frozen pork

"Wes" wrote in message
news
I bought a 12" x 6" x .5" piece of aluminum from mcmasters since aluminum
is cheaper than
steel in that size from them. Anyway, it shows up today and I have it
sitting on the
kitchen counter where I opened the shipping box.

A bit later I reach into the fridge to get the pork loin I pulled from the
freezer
earlier. It was a bit late in the day so it was still frozen.

Thinking about how good a thermal conductor aluminum is, I laid the loin
on the chunk of
aluminum. Darn, that works pretty good. For a second check, I got a
fully frozen loin
and put it on the plate. Thawed about 1/4" in less than a hour.

The aluminum will not be staying in the kitchen since it is destined to be
a mounting
plate for my Lee Loadmaster so I can mount it to my Bridgeport table and
use that for a
bench. The machine room is the only part of my garage that is heated.
I'll also drill
and tap bolt patterns for my Lyman Turret and Lyman LubeSizer.

Wes
--

I was a skeptic before I became a cynic.

How long have you been using the LM? Any issues?