Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default No mains earth supplied to my flat

Andy Wade wrote:

On 29/12/2010 15:23, ARWadsworth wrote:

No reg I am afraid. There maybe something in the ESQCR.

It's the ESQCR, Regulation 24 (4):

"Unless he can reasonably conclude that it is inappropriate for reasons
of safety, a distributor shall, when providing a new connection at low
voltage, make available his supply neutral conductor or, if appropriate,
the protective conductor of his network for connection to the protective
conductor of the consumer's installation."

[http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/2665/made]

AFAIK DNOs are not under any obligation to provide TN earthing to
existing older supplies, although they will sometimes do so if you ask.

Yes, I brought this up a month or so ago when an Inspector told me my
earth clamp was the wrong type, and should be changed.
He also said I could not do it myself, as the wires up to the meter were
the property and responsibility of the supplier.
Neither my electric supplier, or the distributor would come out to
replace the clamp.
They would however fit a new TN-C-S supply, at a cost of £360.

They said I should get an electrician in to change the clamp. The ELECSA
Inspector said no-one apart from the supplier was to touch it.
I will be diying it, as I got the proper clamp last week.
Alan.