Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Name That Tool

I think it's called an assistant fencing trainee.

I'm thinking that you would likely need to fabricate something like long
tongs with sharp opposed points (like block ice tongs), or a spoon on one
side and point on the other, but with a slip-joint that adjusts quickly
(like ChanLlock pliers) to accomodate the different shapes/sizes with a
secure biting grip.

Brazed carbide tips in a very large dental-type tool. The tongs sections
could possibly be square tubing, with some heavier gage metal near the jaws
and joint.

I can't remember seeing anything specifically made for retrieving something
like irregularly-sized rocks down in a hole, but I vaguely recall something
that had a lever at one end to close jaws at the other end.

There is a tool shaped like a hoe, but it has a smaller, spoon-shaped end,
and the idea is to get the spoon end past the object to be extracted from a
hole, then lift it out. This tool probably works well in fairly large
diameter holes though.

--
WB

"Winston" wrote in message
During fence repairs, I sometimes need to
retrieve 3-5 lb. 1"- 4" diameter chunks of
concrete out of a ~15" - 24" deep hole in the ground.

(They are very unevenly shaped pieces.)

Right now, I squat and grab. This is getting
old fast.

What I want is something resembling a miniature
'post hole digger':
http://www.wiserental.com/images/QPI...igger92380.gif
..With strong, 2" wide blades that would allow me
to grab these pieces from a moderate stoop.

I've cruised and Googled over the last few days.

Closest I've gotten is the HF Long Reach Locking Pliers:
http://www.harborfreight.com/15-inch-long-reach-locking-pliers-97609.html

They won't work because the jaws won't open nearly wide
enough and the adjustment is too fiddly for such
brittle material.

What is the name of the tool that will do this please?

Thanks!

--Winston