Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Name That Tool

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 23:12:21 -0800, Winston
wrote:

John R. Carroll wrote:
Winston wrote:
During fence repairs, I sometimes need to
retrieve 3-5 lb. 1"- 4" diameter chunks of
concrete out of a ~15" - 24" deep hole in the ground.

(...)

What is the name of the tool that will do this please?

Thanks!

Fireplace Tongs.

I should have been clearer. Sorry.

Most of the time, the chunks are entrapped by our famous
Bay Area Adobe Clay. Some only budge when I stand on
the end of my slate bar. (ca. 1300 lbs. of force)

By the time I've loosened them, they still require
substantial convincing before they agree to come along.
So I need a tool that has a wide ratio for a firm grip.

(Note the post hole digger's 5:1 mechanical advantage
for example.)

I cruised but didn't find a pair of tongs that could
do that.

Most were 1:1 at best and some were a lot worse.

Thanks for looking into this, John.

Check out the videos...

http://www.fencepostpuller.net/index.html

As a side note..the few times Ive had to pull "plugs"..Ive simply used a
wire cable lanyard, looped around the plug and a boat winch on a stand
to simply suck them out of the ground.

Gunner

difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind
boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."

--Gene Spafford, 1992