Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Meteorite ?

"Sunworshipper" wrote in message

Strange stuff, yesterday I stopped on a gravel road at a place I
noticed that the ground didn't freeze and have been thinking about for
2 weeks. Sure enough was a bit mushy for frozen solid. Today I ask a
friend if antifreeze does that type of thing up here @ the 45th or am
I nuts while I have the metal detector in the vehicle. I'm thinking
Russia satellite, got to stop reading these, the sky is falling books.
The bounce is uranium and gold mining in the area, anyhow I stop again
and the detector goes blank in the area. Hmmm, break out the shovel
and not easy digging. Try the detector again, the non-signal is gone,
cool. Got the thing in hand and still shuts off the detector. All I
have is a cheapy volume knob control, seems to have stopped working
right up here next to Iron mountain MI. Then the inlaw shows up and
said that he dumped antifreeze there...

So I wash it off and it is black and like a regular rock smooth on one
side and broken on the other like it exploded and on the smooth side
looks like the surface popped off like a torch to concrete. The broken
side looks like polarized crystals as if they move about 1/32" above
the surface, I don't shake much and don't need glasses up close.

Recently I gave away a lathe and noticed almost out the door a magnet
so strong I couldn't get it off and it was given back weeks later,
which I keep in a special place with a warning sign. This thing jumps
right up to the magnet and the taconite that I have from years ago
slowly moves to it. The thing is greenish compared to the taconite.

I saw one site for nickel testing , but lost it at the moment. I also
found a impact site close to me through google earth, but as yet been
able to figure out how to find out or not, big lush cedar swamp.
Someday it will be magnetometer experiments.

Anyhow, thought that was weird, found something on a false anomaly.

SW

If the green is olivine, you got something. Those Meteorite Men take theirs
to a University in Arizona, is it Flagstaff?

Steve