Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Slide Negative scanners?

On Dec 29, 12:11*pm, James Waldby wrote:

On 2010-12-29, Brian Lawson wrote:

The threads here reminded me I needed to do a few (thousand) slides,
as they are starting to get mould. *So today I bought a gadget that
was on sale at Staples for 59.92. *Bar Code # 893811002642. *

It's made by Innovative Technology (says *" *i t *" in a circle on the
box ), and it's a Film & Slide Converter. *Does 35MM slide, 35MM
colour roll negatives, and *35MM black & white roll negatives. *Works
OK, but time consuming. *Holds 4 slides at a time, and can suck the
data into its own memory, or a SD card, and then dumps either one
easily into the computer. *Gonna be slow, but works well.

* *It took me a while to find a web site with any information about
this scanner. *No precise details about the dpi resolution, but the
MegaPixels figure suggests that it is nowhere near the Nikon scanner in
resolution. *(That one will scan with high enough resolution so you get
into grain before you get into pixel artifacts with 64 ASA Ektachrome.)

The web pages I looked at said 5Mp sensor, 10-bit depth, 3600 dpi, and
"1800 dpi image enhancement", whatever that might mean. *Apparently
the IT converters use a 5-megapixel CMOS chip to get the picture,
rather than using a scanning mechanism. *Not at all comparable to the
5000 dpi (IIRC) resolution of your Nikon scanners, and not close to
the 16-bit depth either.

[...]

* *The (IT) scanner appears to use USB interface, and I see no
hints that it will work with anything other than Windows. *(They just
say "converting slides to PCs." :-)

They say not compatible with Macs, which makes Microsoft-Windows-only
seem quite likely.

--
jiw- Hide quoted text -

Basically a web-cam with added bits and some software. You can do
better with almost any cheap digital camera and a slide copier, if you
can find one that works. Would probably be faster, too. Almost any
used DSLR will have better specs than that and can be had pretty
cheaply these days. If it's a name brand, you can probably get a T-
mount and dig up a slide copier attachment for same from the mounds of
used film equipment out there.

Stan