Posted to rec.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default bearings on the delta 14 inch bandsaw

I had tried the other day injecting my sons racing lube into the
bearings. Since they were not moving. Hence the frozen again.

The WD is working for today. I will be picking up a new set of bearings.
Apparently I do not have to heat the bearing to get it off the shaft.
Apparently is is a split shaft so the screw on the end that holds the
adjuster, also keeps the sleeve in place.

I'll probably go for more serviceable bearings. My son speed skates on
inline skates, and we have a whole bearing service system that includes
shaker box to clean, and ultrasonic cleaners. As well as some very high
quality lubes.

On 12/29/2010 11:54 AM, GROVER wrote:
On Dec 28, 9:07 pm, tiredofspamnospam.nospam.com wrote:
My bearings were frozen up again.

Even after cleaning both did not move well.

I wound up blowing them out, I can't get the dust seal off.
These are not like some bearings that allow the dust seal to be removed.
I dumped them both in mineral spirits and they freed up, until I blew
them out. Then they were like gum again.

So I sprayed them with WD40 and am hoping for the best.

I guess I need to heat the lower one to get it off the shaft.
Can someone confirm that heating the bearing with a torch will do that.
Or is there another way?

The ball bearings are lubricated at the factory and are not conducive
to home re lubing. The WD 40 will probably do more harm than good by
disolving the original grease lube. They are a relatively inexpensive
part if purchased from a bearing vendor rather than from the machine
manufacturer. Replacement is the best option.

Joe G