Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default No mains earth supplied to my flat

google wrote:
On Dec 29, 2:34 pm, fred wrote:
In article
,
google writes

On Dec 29, 1:02 pm, (A.Lee) wrote:
google wrote:
My flat does not have any mains earth supplied to my meter from
outside, by the power/network supplier. Flat is a traditional 1884
Scottish stone-built tenement building, 2nd floor.

Two questions:
1) Is the supplier obliged to provide one? If not, how much would
it reasonable cost to pay them to install?
2) Do I need one? My I have earth bonding to the gas and water
pipes which I guess can work as an earth. But is that safe? Does
that mean the pipes might be conducting electrical discharge and
be dangerous for anyone touching the pipes of the whole

A picture of the incoming supply and meter would help a lot.
It could be a TN-S supply, or maybe needs to be TT.
A pic would show this.

Alan.

Pictures here...
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fb...10000041293021
6&aid=44231

Tryhttp://www.tinypic.com/for posting the pics.

FWIW, this doesn't sound right. If your supply is of any age, I'd
expect it to be wired in singles (single cores) from a rectangular
duct or round conduit in the close. As you're 2 up there is no way
that you could provide an earth by any other means so I would expect
them to provide an earth if you tell them it is missing. Anyway, let
us see the pics and it should become clear. Try to see where the
cables are coming into your flat.
--
fred

I'm now a fan of www.tinypic.com

(1) pic of feed to meter inside my property
http://tinypic.com/r/ixuom0/7

(2) pic of junction box in shared close/stairway:
http://tinypic.com/r/nmn3nt/7

Having someone here to talk sense is great, thanks for your help so
far guys. Just looking in the shared junction box I can see how my
nieghbour has connected an earth wire to the box, and that there is
not much work involved in connecting an earth cable from my flat to
the box (3 meters). But I think legally I must use the supply company
to make the connection, is that right?

I've called them and waiting on a call back.

Your supplier should be able to tell you what sort of supply you have (TT,
TN-S or TN-C-S)

If it is a TN supply then then the supplier has provided you with an earth
point that you can use.

--
Adam