Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default No mains earth supplied to my flat

tim.... wrote:
"jgharston" wrote in message
Dave Plowman wrote:
2) Do I need one? My I have earth bonding to the gas and water
pipes which I guess can work as an earth. But is that safe?

The snag comes if and when the external bits of these pipes are
changed to
plastic. Assuming they are not already. But using them as an earth
hasn't complied with regs for a long time.

The intention of bonding supply pipes together is to ensure that the
consumer side of those pipes is bonded to your electrical earth, not
to use the incoming supply pipes _as_ your electrical earth.

When a leccy man came to my house to quote for some work he noted
that the water supply was not "earthed" and added some extortionate
charge to the quote for doing it.

I said "did you not notice that the pipes in question are plastic"
and he sheepishly took it off again.

tim

Try it from the other side of the fence. A Council rewire and I am
subcontracted to do the rewire.

The snag list appears and the only snag is "kitcken sink not bonded". I
explained that it is a plastic kitchen sink but it fell on deaf ears.

--
Adam