Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default No mains earth supplied to my flat

In article
,
google writes
On Dec 29, 2:34*pm, fred wrote:
In article

FWIW, this doesn't sound right. If your supply is of any age, I'd expect
it to be wired in singles (single cores) from a rectangular duct or
round conduit in the close. As you're 2 up there is no way that you
could provide an earth by any other means so I would expect them to
provide an earth if you tell them it is missing. Anyway, let us see the
pics and it should become clear. Try to see where the cables are coming
into your flat.

I'm now a fan of www.tinypic.com

(1) pic of feed to meter inside my property
http://tinypic.com/r/ixuom0/7

(2) pic of junction box in shared close/stairway:
http://tinypic.com/r/nmn3nt/7

Having someone here to talk sense is great, thanks for your help so
far guys. Just looking in the shared junction box I can see how my
nieghbour has connected an earth wire to the box, and that there is
not much work involved in connecting an earth cable from my flat to
the box (3 meters). But I think legally I must use the supply company
to make the connection, is that right?

I've called them and waiting on a call back.

As there are just 2 outgoing supplies there I am assuming that this box
is just serving your floor. Looks like incoming supply at the bottom,
through feed to upstairs, with neighbour's feed to the right and yours
to the left?

The neighbour's earth looks undersized btw, it should be the same size
as the solid green that's passing through the box.

It does look a bit scary and it makes me wonder where the earths on your
internal wiring are going to you.

Given the age of the fusebox I wouldn't be surprised if you find that
you have lead sheathed rubber insulated cable terminating without an
earth at the fusebox. This is bad as by now the rubber insulation will
be brittle and will not be possible to add an earth to it.

If it were mine I would switch off the fusebox and remove the cover to
investigate and see if there is any earthing but be aware that despite
the box being switched off this may expose bare live parts. If you have
any doubt as to your competency then do not do this. As you have access
to your fuse in the close then you could isolate your supply there too
but take care as the old fuse carrier may be brittle. Again, if you have
doubts then don't touch it.

If you do have old lead sheathed cable then think about re-wiring, you
are on borrowed time with it.

Btw, the 'direct link' option is more universally usable than the one
you provided but it did the job.
--
fred